Wednesday 26 July 2017

Wednesday Prompt: Taxi Ride

A/N: As always check out The Short Story Press for Sasha's prompt. We give them to each other every Friday and post on Wednesdays. At least Sasha posts Wednesdays, I post when I post.

Taxi Ride
Word Limit: 300


‘Let’s go through this one more time shall we Mr. Smith.’

‘Smythe, my name is Smythe, how many times should I have to tell you this. I’ve been involved in a crime. Show some professionalism.’

The police officers stare blankly at Robert Smythe, ‘Please, continue.’

‘I was on main st. It must have been about 10 o’clock. I’d had a few drinks with the boys after work, O’Malley’s. We were at O’Malley’s. We got a lift home together, James watched to catch an Uber or Lyft or some shit. I dragged us into a taxi. You gotta look after them, they are losing their jobs. So it’s all fine and we are dropping everyone off. Dave first, then Andy. Then it was just James and me in the taxi’

He stops for a moment, takes a deep breath and continues.

‘Just me and James, and the cab. It pulls onto the interstate entrance. I told the guy that he was going the wrong way. But he just stared out the front, his dead charcoal eyes not moving. We banged on the plexiglass barrier. He didn’t turn, James eventually tried to open the door to jump out, but they were locked. He must have driven until well after sunup, except for. Well. The sun didn’t come up. It was just dark, what must have been like 18 hours later I fell asleep. I woke up at home, I don’t know how. I called James to see if he was alright, but his phone has been disconnected. He never pays his bills on time. I called Dave and he is pretending not to know James.’

Robert looks at the two police officers sitting in front of him. ‘Shouldn’t you be writing this down? James is missing.’

One officer shuffles some clearly blank paper. ‘This would be James McFadden?’

‘That’s right.’


‘We’ll make some inquiries Mr. Smith, thank you for coming to us so promptly.’ The officer says as he gently ushers Robert Smythe out the door.

334 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment